Mar 30, 2012

✿ Chelsea’s DIY Corner: Denim Vests ✿

(This is a post I did for The Fabulous Stains, but I figured I'd post it here too so it wouldn't get lost.)

As you may know, I am a big fan of customizing denim vests. It's an easy, fun, creative hobby that I've picked up and the best part is that it's cheap to do! I use mostly thrifted/recycled materials.

So here are a few tips for any of you who want to decorate your own vests.


First off, some things you will need.
1. Denim vest. (You can also get a denim jacket and cut off the sleeves, duh.)
2. F
abric dye (you can find it at any craft store)
3. Studs (I get mine from old studded belts, more on that on that later)
4. Needle/thread/pins
5. Fabric, patches, etc. (See that faux zebra fur? That used to be a pillowcase.)


Tip: I get most of my decals from cutting up old t-shirts (kids shirts are great for this)

Pin your back patch in the position you want it and sew! I sew everything by hand but this would be way easier if I owned a sewing machine.


Tip: If you're really feeling extra creative, 3 words: Puffy Fabric Paint.

Instead of buying individual studs I find it's cheaper to buy studded belts at thrift stores. Make you sure get one with an open back so you can easily pry out the studs. I use a metal nail file, which is also good for pressing down the backs when you're studding your vest.


I'm not a perfectionist about this but if you want them super straight you can align them with a ruler.

Tip: Ever heard of a Bedazzler? They're cheap and awesome and totally worth investing in. (That's what I used for the smaller round studs!)

And voila! My beautiful JonBenet Ramsey vest is complete.




Here is a collection of other vests I've DIY'd!



If you have any questions or comments you can leave them on my Formspring.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. That's cool! I want to diy my own Jacket this summer... Maybe with "Goosebump" on the shoulders andsome studs.

    ReplyDelete